14 But behold, Zion hath said: The Lord hath forsaken me, and my Lord hath forgotten me--but he will show that he hath not.
15 For can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? Yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee, O house of Israel.
16 Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me.

1 Nephi 21: 14-16

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Beautiful People

I read this quote and thought it was amazing and so true:

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen. --Elizabeth Kubler Ros

I also read this other quote in last month's issue of the Ensign. Elder Richard G. Scott of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles said: "Just when all seems to be going right, challenges often come in multiple doses applied simultaneously. When those trials are not consequences of your disobedience, they are evidence that the Lord feels you are prepared to grow more. He therefore gives you experiences that stimulate growth, understanding and compassion, which polish you for everlasting benefit. To get from where you are to where He wants you to be requires a lot of stretching, and that generally entails discomfort and pain."

So I guess my theme is that our trials mold us into beautiful people, if we let them. We still have the choice to let our trials harden us, or to humble us. The most biggest heroes in my life are the ones that have also gone through the most difficult trials. But they didn't let those trials define them, or make them angry at God or life or themselves. They relied on Christ and became strengthened and in turn have helped many, many other people. I especially think of my grandfather, who had a less than ideal childhood, and yet is one of the most Christlike people I have ever met. I also think of my Young Women's President. She had lost a 2-year old child, and a son-in-law. And yet she is one of the most wise and caring people, and I attribute much of who I am to the woman she was. I think of my art teacher Benjie that fought for years and eventually lost her battle to breast cancer. She had also lost a daughter to a murder. And yet, she brightened up EVERYONE'S lives up until the end of her's. I think of these people and want to be like them. And most of all, I want  to be more like the Savior. And think of what all of them went through to become beautiful people. Especially Christ. I can't expect to become beautiful without having first experienced my own Garden of Gethsemane. And neither can  you.


1 comment:

  1. Hey thanks for this blog. It always brightens my day and fills me love. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete