14 But behold, Zion hath said: The Lord hath forsaken me, and my Lord hath forgotten me--but he will show that he hath not.
15 For can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? Yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee, O house of Israel.
16 Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me.

1 Nephi 21: 14-16

Friday, June 24, 2011

Savior, Redeemer of My Soul

Okay, so about a week ago, I went on a date and we saw the movie "17 Miracles," which is about the Willie Handcart Company. Now first of all, I'm usually skeptical about Mormon films, because, let's be honest, most of them are not well done. I appreciate them, I just think we can do better. However, this movie was pretty good. What made it powerful though, was that it was based on true events.

Second of all, I hate crying in front of people. So much so, that almost no guy has ever seen me cry, and I NEVER cry in the theater.

Long story short....I totally cried. (And so did my date...so I didn't feel so bad.) The movie made me think of my mission and I thought of the horrendous trials that the Saints went through. And they played this song called "Savior, Redeemer of My Soul" in it, and it was beautiful . So beautiful, that yesterday I played it over and over while at work. I'm pretty sure it's my new favorite hymn-like song, tied with "Come Thou Fount" and "I Feel My Savior's Love." It's one of those successful hymns that has both beautiful lyrics, and a beautiful melody. So, here are a couple versions of it. In the first one (my favorite one), the actual song doesn't start until about 2:12.



1 comment:

  1. I love that movie and that song. We went and saw that before the YW and YM went on Trek in our ward. Lets just say there was a mighty change of heart in those two hours.

    ReplyDelete