14 But behold, Zion hath said: The Lord hath forsaken me, and my Lord hath forgotten me--but he will show that he hath not.
15 For can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? Yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee, O house of Israel.
16 Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me.

1 Nephi 21: 14-16

Friday, May 13, 2011

Celebrating the Victories

During a trial, I think it's really important to celebrate the victories, however small they seem. Doing that helps me feel more motivated, as well as helps me see how much I'm actually progressing. For example, if I actually go out and exercise: victory. If I get out of bed on a really rough day: victory. I make myself a real meal instead of a quesadilla or ramen: victory. I got my homework done: you go girl.

It's easy to focus on the perceived "failures," but that is both harmful and just plain demotivating. I noticed on my mission that leaders who focused on the good we accomplished were MUCH more effective in pumping us up for the work than those who constantly reminded us how much we needed to improve.

So, celebrate the things you DO achieve. You didn't lose your patience and blow up at someone like you normally might or want to do: victory. You got the nerve to talk to that cute guy/girl (even if they didn't seem responsive): victory. You did a small act of service: you rock my world.

If you accomplish something really difficult, you can even make a tangible reward--buy yourself some kind of reward, eat a bowl of ice cream....I don't know...be creative.

So, let's celebrate! :)






No comments:

Post a Comment