14 But behold, Zion hath said: The Lord hath forsaken me, and my Lord hath forgotten me--but he will show that he hath not.
15 For can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? Yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee, O house of Israel.
16 Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me.

1 Nephi 21: 14-16

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Loving Yourself

I think it only appropriate after talking about self-acceptance to move on to the next step: self-love. A girl in my ward talked about the very subject today, and I felt like it was a very appropriate topic to discuss here.

I think we all know people who love themselves maybe too much, and many of us do not love ourselves enough. Before throwing myself into the scary world of missionary work, I definitely had some assertiveness issues. For some reason, I felt that others' needs were more important than my own, and consequently got walked over like a doormat, had terrible self-esteem, went unnecessarily out of my way to accommodate others' trivial needs, and frankly got myself into some rather interesting and uncomfortable situations that could have been avoided had I loved myself just a little bit more. In fact, my other blog, which documents the embarrassing moments in my life, can mostly be attributed to my lack of assertion.

I have since learned, that no one's needs are above mine, but nor are mine above those of others. I am of equal value of those around me. Once I realized and embraced that idea, my life became much more liberating. I could still be kind and still serve others, but I didn't need to give up things that were necessary for myself in order to make people happy. I learned how to say "no" when appropriate and not feel so guilty. This was a huge step for me in actually treating myself like I loved myself.

In the talk I heard, the young woman, Kellie, mentioned how we need to develop a relationship with ourselves, as silly as that may sound. We need to take time for ourselves. I totally agree! Constantly criticizing ourself destroys that relationship, and is a next important step in self-love. Constructive criticism is needed in order to progress, guilt is needed to repent and draw closer to God, but constantly abusing ourselves for every little thing we do wrong is not healthy. Recognize all the good that you are. Learn to love and become friends with the person in the mirror.

Low self-esteem is difficult to overcome. But it definitely can be done!!! You are a wonderful child of God--a God in embryo. That means you have eternal potential to grow and progress and become like our Savior. How cool is that? Even if you feel talentless, worthless, and love-less, you currently, as in this very moment, have the potential to become like our Heavenly Parents. You are of Royal lineage, and it's time you started treating yourself that way. You are not the scum of the kingdom, a peasant, slave, servant, or handmaid/butler. You are of the very Royal Blood, the son or daughter of a Celestial King and Queen and can obtain all the blessings that They enjoy. So, act like it, and treat yourself like it. You aren't better than anyone else, but no one is better than you either.

Hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment