14 But behold, Zion hath said: The Lord hath forsaken me, and my Lord hath forgotten me--but he will show that he hath not.
15 For can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? Yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee, O house of Israel.
16 Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me.

1 Nephi 21: 14-16

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Finding Joy in the Little Things

A few months ago, when I was still in my home ward, the Relief Society had an activity in which we all received a little journal, called the "gratitude journal." Each day we were to record 5 things we were grateful for that day, and we were never allowed to repeat anything from a previous day. The first couple days obvious things are written down, like family, but we quickly saw that we'd have to be creative. I haven't been perfect with it, but it sure has been fun to notice the little things that happen that I am grateful for. I think this is a great exercise for people that feel down--go buy a little notebook and start doing it too! I think you'll be surprised. You are encouraged to doodle, expound on the 5 things, put in clippings, quotes, etc in the book....just make it personal!

Here are some of the things I have put in my book:

  • friends who care
  • family
  • my own computer
  • access to a car
  • my art talents
  • getting my scripture reading done earlier
  • sleeping in
  • an excuse to "gussy up"
  • home food from Mom
  • finding old clothes that I love
  • reminiscing about my childhood
  • Christmas shopping with my brother (he convinced me to buy a toilet seat for a white elephant gift exchange...it was hilarious)
  • ward choir
  • Institute
  • blogging
  • rain
  • good in-laws
  • sushi
  • playing with niece and nephews
  • the magic a 3-year old brings at Christmastime
  • dates (good ones!)
  • good root beer
  • cake batter ice cream
  • safe traveling
  • the snow
  • Icee's
  • conversations about art
  • top ramen
  • chocolate-covered pretzels
  • a successful first week of school
  • getting lost with Reba
  • crepes
  • compliments from boys
  • talking in Spanish for 2 hours with a native speaker while doing service at DI
  • roommate bonding
  • dropping a bad class and signing up for a better one (best decision I made this semester)
  • dropping a pants size!!
  • acing a quiz even though I did the wrong reading
  • getting my paper done and turned in
  • not having a quiz in Classroom Management today!
  • a blind date that actually wasn't awkward
  • making myself a real dinner
  • getting my temple recommend
  • success in teaching Sunday School!
  • watching "The Bachelor" with Maegan
  • leftovers
  • becoming friends with the guy at the front desk of the CCC
  • getting my paper done despite bad anxiety
  • warmer weather
  • safety
  • being able to eat after being sick for so long
  • goal setting
  • being able to kiss and hold hands again
  • strawberry milk
  • finishing the 5k and doing it with siblings
  • receiving revelation
  • string cheese
  • awesome home teachers
  • meeting my visiting teacher
  • meeting a fun person in class, making the time go by so much faster
  • fun April Fool's pranks
  • my mission president and his wife
  • healing
  • board games
  • a living prophet and apostles
  • and countless names of people...chances are, if we've hung out, you've made it in my journal. :)

"In daily life we must see that it is not happiness that makes us grateful, but gratefulness that makes us happy."


No comments:

Post a Comment