14 But behold, Zion hath said: The Lord hath forsaken me, and my Lord hath forgotten me--but he will show that he hath not.
15 For can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? Yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee, O house of Israel.
16 Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me.

1 Nephi 21: 14-16

Monday, April 4, 2011

Myths About Depression

There are so many misconceptions about depression, and I hope to dispel them. There are more, but I'll post what I can think of first.

1) Depression is caused by sin.
   Many believe that those who have depression must have committed some serious transgression, and if they repent, than they will no longer be depressed. Granted, sinning definitely does not help with dealing with depression, but it is NOT the cause. Depression is a mental illness. One does not choose it, or receive it as a bad consequence of actions (usually). The most righteous of persons may still suffer from depression, and many do.

2) Just snap out of it! Happiness is a choice!
   This is often the frustrated reaction of those who hear about one who has depression. Yes, happiness is a choice...but only to an extent. If one could just "snap out of" depression, it would not be so prevalent. Who would ever choose depression?? Doing something that makes me happy sometimes provides a temporary relief, like a hot pack to an achy muscle, but the ache is still there.

3) Just pray to God, and He'll take it away.
    This is the myth I am told the most by people that I go to for help. I have lost track of the hundreds of prayers I have pleaded, how many tears I have brought to the Lord, begging for Him to take away my pain, only to feel no relief. Some of you may be thinking that it must be because I lack faith. I testify before God and man that I know with a surety that God does answer prayers, and that the Atonement does cover all things. But depression cannot be prayed away. Just as terminal illness cannot be prayed away. There have been brief moments of relief in answer to my pleadings, but the depression still is there.

4) This has 2 parts: You're on meds to be happy??? That is not God's way!
and/or:  You see a counselor? Only really messed up people see counselors.
 Part 1:  This myth is so upsetting to me. Would you ever tell a cancer patient that chemotherapy was evil and not the appropriate way to deal with it? That they should just "pray it away"? That would be ridiculous.    Would you deny one having an asthma attack access to a rescue inhaler, telling them, "You really don't need it. It's just in your head. Snap out of it! Just breathe normal like the rest of us! What's the matter with you?" I have asthma as well, btw, and if anyone ever told me that, I would probably never want to be around them again, and have to control myself to not slap them. And yet, that is what so many people say to their friends and loved ones or acquaintances who suffer from depression. What would happen to a diabetic who neglected to take their insulin? I witnessed this happen to my grandma, who was driving, and I was scared. It is not a pretty thing.
    God, in His mercy and love, has provided modern-day medicine as a way to combat illness. Including mental illness. I will here publicly thank my dear, loving, merciful God in Heaven for my lexapro. The difference I felt after beginning to take anti-depressants was incredible. I felt so much more normal, so much happier, and so much more of myself. What a wonderful, amazing thing medicine is as a tool to help one combat depression.

Part 2: Counselors are provided to help people cope with problems, WHATEVER they may be. When I first started seeing a counselor, I felt like I was less of a person. I had always judged people who saw counselors as people with serious problems or sins or whatever, and told myself that such a "good" person as I should never resort to that. Those who utilize medicine or counselors are NOT of less worth to our Heavenly Father than those who do not. And if you think that way, I think it's time for a check on your pride. One who does not go to a counselor is not more loved by God. In fact, I bet God is proud of His children that are proactive in trying to battle and cope with their difficulties by using all of the appropriate resources that He has provided. In fact, I find it humorous to say, "My shrink told me...." And for those who are wondering what it's like, no, I do not lie down on a reclining couch. :) If you are still not convinced, then you will find it interesting to note that BYU offers counseling to its students. Honestly, if God didn't approve of it, then counseling would not be available.
  If you go to BYU, the university offers free counseling services to all full-time students. If you are a  part-time student, I believe that you can go to the Student Health Center, where you can pay to see a counselor. I highly recommend it. It's very confidential, and it helps so much to have someone to just talk to who won't judge you, and rather will help you through it.



The saddest thing about these myths, is that not only are they held by those who do not have depression, but often held by those who do have it. To you, reader, who has been telling yourself these things, I tell you that it is not your fault that you have depression. Don't guilt yourself even more for feeling like you should be able to control it and can't understand why you can't. It is appropriate to get help...and you should.

No comments:

Post a Comment