14 But behold, Zion hath said: The Lord hath forsaken me, and my Lord hath forgotten me--but he will show that he hath not.
15 For can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? Yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee, O house of Israel.
16 Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me.

1 Nephi 21: 14-16

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Some Thoughts on the Atonement

Today is Easter. So, in sacred remembrance of what we celebrate on this day, I want to talk a little about Christ and the Atonement. I can't talk about ALL of my thoughts on the Atonement...that would be a whole book. Maybe that's really what this blog is about though--finding access to the Atonement.


Today in church we had a combined Elder's Quorum/Relief Society Meeting, and the EQ President talked about the Atonement. It was wonderful. He talked about the enabling power of the Atonement for a lot of it, how we usually just focus on the repentance part, and not this part. He said, quoting someone else whose name is fleeing me that we always remember that the Atonement is for the sinner, but we often forget that the Atonement is for saints--for good men and women who are obedient. We ALL need the Atonement. And guess what, we ALL have access to it. Unless you've intentionally murdered or denied the Holy Ghost, you have access to the Atonement.

I love Stephen E. Robinson's book Believing Christ. If you haven't read it, it will seriously change your life. He talks about how so often we feel like we need to save ourselves, and through our own grit and willpower, and that if we were just somehow perfect enough through our own strength, then we will be able to save ourselves. Guess what--those who stick to that method cannot, I repeat, cannot, enter the Celestial Kingdom. They just can't. Because we need a Savior. We need One who can fill the gap. He goes on to emphasize that so often we do believe in Christ. Yes, we know of Him, we know of His teachings, of His life...but do we believe Him? Do we believe Him when He says that He has suffered for each individual one of us, to make us whole and complete us? Guess what folks, we have to accept the help Christ offers us. There is simply no other way if we want to live with God again. I think sometimes we are stubborn--I know a lot of the time I am embarrassed to ask for help because I want to be self-sufficient...I feel like I'm weak or incompetent, or I want to have the pride of accomplishing something myself. I also don't want to inconvenience people. And I especially feel uncomfortable thinking that someone really suffered and died for my sake. I think a lot of us are like that.

But that attitude will simply not fly when we stand before God and He'll ask, "Why didn't you take the help that was offered to you, my child?" The response, "I wanted to do it myself" or "I thought I could do it myself" will not be acceptable answers. He requires us to be humble and accept the help that we have been so mercifully given. But like I mentioned in my last post, humility is not a sign of weakness, but of spiritual strength--it is recognizing where your true strength lies (see Preach My Gospel under "Christlike Attributes"--Chapter 6).


To be honest, I really don't understand how the Atonement works. My good friend's mom in a talk compared the Atonement to one of the Mr. Clean white sponge-brick things. She has not a clue how it works, but it cleans everything. I love that analogy. I would like to add that the Atonement can not only clean everything, but heal everything. There is NOTHING too small or insignificant for the Atonement, nor is there anything too great. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

I loved a comment one ward member made during the lesson today--he said how when we are struggling, the Lord understands us, not because He suffered something similar, but because He suffered our individual pains. Think about that for a moment. Whatever pain YOU feel, that is what He suffered. Not something like unto it, but the very thing that causes you agony or grief is what He felt.

"11 And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.
12 And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities."
Alma 7: 11-12


There is so much in these verses. Christ knows how to comfort us according to our needs because He suffered our individual pains, sicknesses, and even temptations. What wonderful news that is. We have a Savior. Someone did it for us...what we could not do for ourselves. He makes us stronger, as we accept Him and believe Him. He completes us.

I bear testimony of Him, our Savior Jesus Christ. I know that my Redeemer lives. I testify that He lived, suffered, and died for us, because He loves us. Something I know more than anything is that He loves us. Oh how He loves us! And not just some of us, but ALL of us! I know that the Atonement WORKS. I know that Jesus Christ is the very Son of God, and that He will stand with us before God the Father in our defense if we do all of our part now. I also know that our Heavenly Father loves us...so, so much. He loved us enough to sacrifice His most perfect Child, all so that we could have the chance to return to live in His presence. He wants us to come back to Him. Christ did not come to the world to condemn us, or anyone, but He came to give each of us the opportunity to have salvation. I know that as we go to Him, we can be healed. And I eagerly await for Him to come again.

I say all of these things, in His sacred and holy name, Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment