14 But behold, Zion hath said: The Lord hath forsaken me, and my Lord hath forgotten me--but he will show that he hath not.
15 For can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? Yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee, O house of Israel.
16 Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me.

1 Nephi 21: 14-16

Monday, April 4, 2011

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! This post will be my introduction.

A little bit about myself: my name is Angela, I am 23 years old and currently studying at Brigham Young University. I am studying Art Education with a minor in psychology. I recently returned from missionary service in the Paraguay Asuncion North Mission, where I preached the word of God and battled horrible weather, less-than-ideal living conditions, all kinds of vermin, doubts, weaknesses, and learned just how much I could handle with the help of God. I love the arts, I love to make people laugh, I spontaneously dance and sing, and cherish the small wonderful moments that happen throughout my day. And I have depression.

Most people are shocked when I tell them I have depression. Their responses are usually something like, "But you always seem so happy!""You? I never would have guessed!", etc. Let me tell you, I was just as shocked. I hope this dispels one myth about depression--that depressed people never appear happy. I would have to say, I almost always appear happy. In fact, there are plenty of moments that I truly am. However, deep down in the shadows of my heart there lies a constant, gnawing ache...an ache that cannot be prayed, sung, or repented away. It is like a cancer that needs to be treated, but its presence seems invisible to those who do not feel it.

Depression is something I would never wish on anyone. It eats at the soul, surrounds life with darkness, and sucks the joy out of life. HOWEVER, I am eternally grateful for the things I have learned from it. The purpose of this blog will be to share the things I have learned from it in order to help others cope with it as well, as well as provide understanding to those who do not have this condition. This blog is created out of a deep love and empathy for you, my friend, who has depression and feels like no one understands. This is also created out of a need to express the feelings that I deeply hold, the truths I have learned, and a strong desire to dispel the many notorious myths about depression, especially those held within a religious context.

May you find more understanding through what I share.
--Ang

1 comment:

  1. Wow. You are amazing. I love your ability to look inside yourself, share, reach out and lift...even me. I can see myself in so much that you share. THANK you for having the courage to do this. I am in awe of your goodness. You really "get" depression and understand what it takes to make it through. You are teaching me the gift that our struggles are for others. Thank you.

    --Becky Goodwin

    ReplyDelete